So, I’ve been back from ImagingUSA for a week. I finally feel like I’m getting caught up on all those little things that didn’t get done before the show.
Despite of our booth and DVDs showing up on the last day of the show, I think what we put together in a hurry worked really well – thanks to IKEA and some quick planning on our part! Fortunately, weeks before the show, we did plan to buy 1 IKEA Expedit bookcase and hand letter the sides. The night I arrived in Phoenix, we planned an entire booth around that bookcase.
I designed the type and product layout prior to the show. I printed out full size versions of the type and brought that with me. I used Chalk Ink Markers because they make less of a mess than real chalk, would not just rub off is someone brushed against it and could easily wipe off with water and a wet rag. I traced the letters onto the cabinet with chalk, then used the markers for the final type. After doing the first section of lettering, the Chalk Ink Markers started to chip off. I panicked, but figured it just gave it a real hand lettered look. For some odd reason, the cabinet on the top, must have had a different finish because the markers did not chip off of the lower unit.
I was really happy with the results. This is how the lettering turned out.
I pulled out my Gelli plate and made some prints. These Gelli Arts Plates seem to be all the rage these days. Honestly, the first time I used the plate, I was not really happy with what I created. I felt like I should have saved my money on the plate. But, the more I play with it, the happier I am with the prints. I am learning to use more colors on the prints. Also, I like to go back over old prints later. Here are a few prints I pulled.
I used stencils, textured foam sheets and random round things. I keep struggling with what type of paints to use. The Golden Artist Colors paints are rather pricey, but I must admit, they blend very well and go on the plate nice and smooth. I tend to buy them one a time when I have a coupon (and right now Michaels has 50% off).
This one I used some holey joint tape on the plate. I couldn’t throw it away, so I added it to this print. This print was pulled at least twice.
To get the strips on this print, I laid some scrap of vellum on the plate before pulling the print. I now have some fun vellum strips to use elsewhere.
I really like this blue one! I don’t think it’s finished yet. I have some ideas of what to do to it digitally. We’ll see :)
I have TOO much fun making these prints, but I’m not quite sure what I will do with them. My box of scrap prints is getting full.
This card was made by punching coordinating papers with the Fiscars small hexagon shaped punch. I positioned them on a scrap, then glued into position. I left a hexagon out to stamp “hi”.
I hand cut feathers out of cardstock then used the same ink from the “hi” to add color to them. Dusted the edges with a pink stamp for extra dimension. Tied small glass beads to cotton cord and tied them to the card.
Got this GREAT large sized board book at the library for only 50¢. I have got to find more of these! No need to glue pages together and the book is 9×12 – fantastic size. It was a children’s story book written in German with these kinda creepy illustrations that I was happy to paint over. Here are some of the pages. The inside cover is layers of acrylic paint stamped with lots of my hand carved stamps.
I had hand cut these letters for a DUDS project and thought they FIT my Style. The squares were stamped on deli paper with ceramic tiles – a tip I learned from Jodi Ohl on 21 Secrets. I have been loving that workshop!